Linux 2.2.17 Release Notes
Platforms:Alpha, PowerPC, Sparc, X86
Linux 2.2.17 is the latest update to the Linux kernel tree. The out of the box tree
supports the Alpha, PPC, Sparc and X86 platforms. MIPS is mostly merged
but you should obtain the platform specific tree.
ARM, M680x0 and S/390 users should get their platform specific tree.
This code is intended to build with gcc 2.7.2 and egcs 1.1.2. Patches for
building with gcc 2.95 are merged but less tested than other compilers.
Caution is recommended when using gcc 2.95 and feedback is sought.
Linux 2.2.17 changes a few internal system structures. You may need to
rebuild a few third party modules such as pcmcia-cs when upgrading from older
kernels to this one.
Linux 2.2.17 contains no significant security updates.
- IDE/SCSI raw commands
- We now require CAP_SYS_RAW_IO for these.
- IP chains
- A casting error could occasionally make frames be treated as fragment zero
- Keymap reload
- Keymap reloads now require root
- Fix fbcon, matroxfb and pm2fb for Alpha
- Fix iovec overrun emulation for OSF
- Fix lmc and dmfe build problems on Alpha
- Remove an escaped debug message
- Various small platform fixes
- Add knowledge of WinChip C6 buggy TSC
- CPU identification code knows about the Transmeta processors
- Handle Athlon cache size reporting errata
- List extra Athlon CPU flags
- Machine Check Exception handler added
- Save db6 correctly on debug traps
- SMM driver for Toshiba laptops
- Typo fix on oops reporting
- No changes
PPC should now be back in line between the main tree and the PPC
distribution save for USB.
- ATI video fixes
- Fix zImage for chrp platforms
- Numerous small fixes
Some updates have been merged but not yet all. S/390 is not functional out
of the box on 2.2.17.
- Fix eepro100 on sparc
- Fix lockd ioctl translation
- Fix problems with SABRE
- Fix signal handling problems
- Fix sparc power handling bug
- Fix symbios scsi on sparc
- Fix string concatentation in sparc includes
- Fix TLB multi-match bugs on sparc64
- Fixes for CDROMPLAYTRKIND and rpc2 region info queries. Other fixes for
some CDROM problems.
- Fix the multiple ide directories in /proc bug
- Handle iovec overruns as per BSD behaviour.
- SCSI core
- Hopefully fix the initrd unload problem
- SCSI generic
- Fix panic with some cards
- SCSI tape
- Various bugs fixed
- VM subsystem
- Fix I/O slowdown. Improve overall performance. Fix early 'no free pages'
File System Updates
- 3c59x driver
- Add support for the 3c556, fix various bugs
- 3Ware IDE Raid
- A new version of the driver is included
- Adaptec 29xx
- The aic7xxx driver has been updated. EISA/VLB card problems should be
- ALi 5451 audio
- Added support for the midi port on this chipset
- Small fixes
- Several cleanups
- Fix several crash cases on unload/setup with the bonding driver
- BTTV TV card
- Support multiple norms
- A driver for most CS4280 and CS46xx cards has been added.
- A driver for the Crystal CS4281 sound chip has been added.
- Cyclades Serial
- Small driver updates
- DAC960 driver
- A new release of the DAC960 driver has been incorporated
- Fix problems with 100Mbit full duplex
- Fix select handling bugs
- Several fixes applied
- Use I/O mode not MMIO for now
- Merge an initial driver for the emu10k chip (SBLive! and friends)
- Fix a bug in GETOSPACE
- Add support for revision 8 boards. Fix a bug in GETOSPACE
- ESS 1879
- Fix incorrect sound on some setups
- ESS Solo
- Start card with mic input turned down to avoid feedback
- Etherworks 3
- Added support for byte counters
- HDLC driver
- This has been updated to the latest code
- Fix scsi crash on boot problem, block scan for multiple drives, better
boot volume handling.
- IMM/PPA Zip driver
- Fix problems with PCI interfaces
- Initio SCSI
- Fix crash on unload problems
- IP2 Serial
- Fix config ioctl bug
- IXJ Telephony
- Resynchronized withthe vendor driver releases
- Intel i810 audio
- Several API and other fixes have been made. The high CPU usage problem
with xmms has been fixed.
- Fix serveral driver problems and update driver
- MD software raid
- Fixed the problems in 2.2.16 with block size errors
- A driver for the Cyclades PC300 has been added
- PS/2 mouse
- Lockup on reconnect of a mouse on an SMP box is fixed
- Driver updates and bug fixes
- RIO serial
- Bring in line with 2.4 driver
- Smart2 RAID
- Added another card to the known boards, minor fixes
- SX Serial
- Fixed DTR on close bug. Bring in line with 2.4 driver
- Driver updates
- Driver updates
- Yamaha PCI audio
- Fix problems when it is compiled in.
- Small fixes
- Atari Partition Probe
- Perform atari probe last to avoid false positives
- General updates to the CODA interface code
- Set file types on sockets. Fix typo in error message.
- Fix a problem with FATfs on CD-ROM
- Fix off by one error on some CD reading. Fix 2K alignment bug.
- Fix handling of 16bit characters
- Fixed a race in the NFS code that would report the cache already locked.
Don't listen for TCP on the lockd port.
- Fix some problems. Stop it trying to handle Win2K.
- General cleanup. Fix rename on OS/2.
- Most UMSDOS problems are now believed fixed
- The bit operations on some platforms did not work for all cases
- Memory leaks
- Several obscure memory leaks on error paths of drivers have been fixed
- VA rename
- VA Research became VA Linux
- The main kernel mailing lists moved. This is reflected in the
documentation for 2.2.17
- A general effort to remove some of the warnings from the code
- Improve the handling of AARP when an address gets reused by another
node. Fix other small appletalk bugs.
- Fix problems in the parameter parser. Fix memory leak.
- IRIX food fight
- Fixed a problem that caused Linux and Irix boxes to occasionally get
into food fights with FIN frames
- Document new ipmasqadm tool locations
- Some obscure oops cases have been fixed
- A race between device unloading and packet dequeueing has been fixed
- A potential situation where incorrect errors were set on sockets has
- Fix some hangs and crashes under very high VM load. Fix some other
problems with very busy sites